Some Must Reads...

  • Everything Matters!
  • South of Broad
  • The Shack
  • Water For Elephants

Monday, March 1, 2010

Wednesday Wednesday

So I work 4-10 hour days and have Wednesdays off. Usually I putter around alternately doing dishes, playing games on the laptop, doing laundry, playing on facebook...you get the picture. Nothing major happens on my Wednesdays. Maybe some Dr's appointments, general running around. And sometimes, I even get to just chill and maybe take a nap.

All of the above was planned for last Wednesday, and then paying a visit to my Mom was added to the mix. I had spoken to her a couple of times over the past few days and she just didn't sound like herself. Well, I guess it was because the arthritis in her shoulder had been pretty bad and she was in a lot of pain. Added to this, her house was a mess as she could not do the cleaning due to the pain she was in. My Mom has always been a pretty meticulous person. Everything has always had its place and things were to be cleaned in a certain manner. So when she could not do her cleaning, she became a bit depressed.

I volunteered to come over for a couple of hours to help her but wasn't looking forward to doing anymore cleaning than I absolutely had to.

I remember growing up trying to meet her high standards when doing my chores and pretty much failing miserably and usually ending up in a knock down drag out screaming match. Yeah, did I mention my Mom and I have historically not experienced a lovey dovey relationship? It's not the best relationship but it's not the worst either. I guess it's grown over the years to be enjoyable most of the time but we still have our difficulties.

So, I grabbed some much need Timmy Ho's coffee and a muffin and headed over. I have to say, it didn't end up as bad as I thought it would. I made a list, and just went about my business and got things done. She was very appreciative of my help and I know it made a difference to her. I just wish I knew the secret to having a better relationship with her. It seems like such an enigma to me and baffles me. I think she's a good person. I love her. I appreciate the things she has gone thru. But somehow it still doesn't bring the closeness I would hope for us. Anyone out there have any ideas on mother-daughter relationships???

No comments:

Post a Comment